To successfully complete this learning unit, you will be expected to:
- Discuss the issues related to interpersonal violence and child abuse pertaining to clients from diverse backgrounds.
- Apply the areas of knowledge and multicultural competencies that are required for effective work with diverse client populations.
- Evaluate counseling interventions for their appropriateness and effectiveness when used with clients from diverse backgrounds who are dealing with issues related to interpersonal violence and child abuse.
Having Trouble Meeting Your Deadline?
Get your assignment on Cultural Factors Relevant to Abuse and Interpersonal Violence (IPV) completed on time. avoid delay and – ORDER NOW
Alaggia, R. (2001). Cultural and religious influences in maternal response to intrafamilial child sexual abuse: Charting new territory for research and treatment. Journal of Child Sexual Abuse, 10(2), 41-60.
Gilligan, P. & Akhtar, S. (2006). Cultural barriers to the disclosure of child sexual abuse in Asian communities: Listening to what women say. British Journal of Social Work, 36(8), 1361-1377.
Robinson, T. L. (2000). Making the hurt go away: Psychological and spiritual healing for African American women survivors. Journal of Multicultural Counseling and Development, 28(3), 160-176.
Rodriguez, C. M. (2008). Ecological predictors of disciplinary style and child abuse potential in a Hispanic and Anglo-American sample. Journal of Family Studies, 17, 336-352. doi: 10.1007/s10826-007-9145-2
Imagine you are a counselor at a community mental health agency serving a culturally diverse clientele. Recently there has been an increase in reports of suspected child abuse/neglect with the clients at the clinic. As part of a series of workshops, each therapist was asked by the clinic supervisor to create a workshop for staff development training that addresses discipline and parenting practices from a multicultural perspective.
You are to choose a cultural/ethnic group other than your own, conduct research on that culture, and create a presentation that addresses the following:
· An overview of some common characteristics, beliefs, and values of families from that cultural/ethnic group in general,
· an overview of parenting/child rearing beliefs and practices common to this cultural group, specifically addressing what you found in the research related to common beliefs and practices related to discipline,
· a section that addresses strategies therapists can use when working with families in this culture if they are faced with a situation of abuse/neglect.
This assignment should be a PowerPoint presentation consisting of 12-15 slides (excluding title and reference slides) and use at least 5 current peer reviewed resources, properly cited according to APA format.